Crossroads Urban Center is a nonprofit, grassroots organization that assists and organizes Utahns with low incomes, those with disabilities, and people of color to meet basic survival needs and to address essential issues affecting quality of life. Established in 1966, Crossroads is a multi-faith, community based project related to the United Methodist Women Inc.
Crossroads Urban Center was founded in 1966. We are a multi-faith, community center with broad support from many religious communities as well as businesses, individuals and foundations. Our main office is in a building near downtown Salt Lake City and has been owned by the women of the United Methodist Church since 1905.
Utah's busiest emergency food pantry, a thrift store, community organizing assistance to low income people and other agencies, a monthly food purchasing cooperative, and holiday food programs are among Crossroads' activities. Crossroads has also initiated and developed new community organizations to provide services not otherwise available in our community. Utahns Against Hunger (70's), Wasatch Community Gardens (80's), the Disabled Rights Action Center (1993), the Children's Literacy Project (1994), Justice, Economic Dignity, & Independence (J.E.D.I.) for Women (1995), two drug abuse rehab centers, and numerous neighborhood organizations to compare car insurance are some examples. Crossroads was instrumental in establishing the homeless shelters in Salt Lake, and Utah's alternative payroll deduction giving program.
This building, originally built as a private home in 1903, was purchased and dedicated by the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the spring of 1905 for use as Davis Deaconess Home. The home was named for Mrs. Eliza Given Davis, the second president of the Society, and served as a residence for women serving local Methodist parishes and surrounding local neighborhoods. The original site for the work of the Society was Davis Hall, which was built at 41 East 300 South in 1883 and officially organized as the Davis Deaconess Home in 1896.
Davis Esther Hall was established here in 1937 after the Deaconess Home was closed the previous year. Esther Hall was a home for young women working or attending school in Salt Lake City, and part of a network of boarding homes operated by the Methodist Women. Davis Esther Hall closed in 1965.
On February 8, 1966, Crossroads Urban Center was officially organized and housed at this facility. The building is owned by the Women's Division of the United Methodist Church. It is maintained through the National Division of the General Board of Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church by the Board of Directors of Crossroads Urban Center.